• Under the direction of the Payroll Accountant, the Payroll Clerk assist in all activities regarding the management of employee compensation and benefits in the company. You will undertake a variety of tasks such as entering payroll information, calculating wages and making payments, benefits and other duties as assigned.
Please apply by September 29, 2023.
Payroll Clerk Job Responsibilities:
• Pays employees by calculating pay and deductions and issuing checks.
• Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data into the payroll system, as well as retrieving data when necessary.
• Updates payroll records by entering changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job title and department/division transfers.
• Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
• Determines payroll liabilities by calculating employee federal and state income and social security taxes and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
• Communicates payroll deductions to retirement administrators for 401(k) plans and other pre-taxation savings plans.
• Assist with monthly, quarterly, or year-end calculations of bonuses and other salary based compensation.
• Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information and interacting with HR.
• Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests.
• Maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures, and reporting needed changes.
• Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
Payroll Clerk Skills and Qualifications:
• Analytical skills
• Data entry skills
• Attention to detail
• Problem solving
• Flexibility and adaptability
• General math skills
• Familiarity with financial software
• Familiarity with accounting principles
• Communication skills
• Organizational skills
Education, Experience, & Licensing Requirements:
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting or related field
• Experience working in an office setting
• Previous payroll software experience a plus
• Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) and the Certified Payroll Professional(CPP) a plus
This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed.The qualifications listed above are guidelines, other combinations of education and experience that could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job will be considered.
- Chicago, IL
- Payroll Clerk
- FLSA Exempt